Evaluate Compressor Insulation. Helps to Predict Compressor Failure.
- 1000VDC voltage source
- Measure up to 2000 megohm
- Backlit LCD
The Fieldpiece Digital Megohm Meter, model SMG5, is a compact standalone meter designed for checking HVAC compressor insulation. The SMG5 provides a 1000V voltage source, monitors current, and displays the resistance between the test points. Maximum current output is <1mA. It can be used to determine the condition of insulation from winding to ground in a motor, compressor, or transformer. Includes a case, alligator clip lead tip and leads with removable tips.
To test resistance, a DMM supplies low voltage (<1V) to the test points and is capable of delivering only a few milliamps. It’s not a high enough voltage to detect high resistance problems that might indicate moisture and other contaminants and it’s not enough current to measure lower values of resistance.
- Predict compressor failure
- 1000VDC stresses insulation to measure up to 2000Mohms
- Backlit LCD display
- Auto-off to extend battery life
- Case, alligator clip, leads with removable tips
- (1) SMG5 Megohm Meter
- (2) Probe Tips
- (1) Ground Lead with Detachable Tip
- (1) Alligator Probe Tip
- (1) Carrying Case
- (4) AAA Batteries (installed)